Peter4Strategy: Helping you improve and create strategies and change
By using my unique mix of extensive global operational experience with strong creative consulting and strategic skills I am a very effective partner. Why effective? Because I work fast, fact driven, team oriented and with pragmatic implementations in mind.
Leveraging my coaching, facilitating and communication skills to rapidly challenge groupthink, create innovative, out of the box solutions, create new team-based drive and translate to pragmatic implementations.
30+ years of global operational experience in the B2B industry (e.g. chemicals, oil/gas & mining, food/agro industry, materials and processing industries) and related organizations allows me to not only challenge but also know from first-hand experience what is a possible stretch vs an impossible visionary target. Add to that 5 years working at a top consulting firm gives a unique mix of capability and experience.
Having successfully worked with 3 CEO’s and their teams in the last 10 years has given me a deep understanding of how to support and challenge you during different – always turbulent- times.
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, but rather, that which is most adaptable to change.” (often stated as from Darwin, but actually from Louisiana State University business professor Leon C. Megginson)
Your case is unique and needs a customized solution, but for guidance see below
I am also available as day facilitator, key note speaker, webinar host /speaker
Strategy fitness test
- Robustness check
Where to improve
Is the plan working
- Analyze your plans and results
Simple & straight feedback
No selling of projects
- 5-7 days
Usually in 2-3 weeks
C level sparring partner
- One on one setting
Sharing and sparring
You choose the scope
- Listen, listen, listen
New ways of thinking
Follow up actions
No selling of projects
- 1 day per month
½ day prep, ½ day session
Change project Leader
- Strategy or other change issue
Scope defined together
- Action oriented output
Follow up process defined
Organizational change kick-off
Educating your internal team
- 25 days, 6-9 weeks
Needs strong internal team
- Chemical Industry
- Fast intro into subject
Understanding more than facts
- From 1 -10 hours
Allows small follow up mails
About Peter Gommers
People that know me say I am a high energy individual with extensive hands on strategy, M&A, marketing and sales skills. I have worked in global, complex/ambiguous organizational settings and am considered a creative idea and action generator for innovation and change. And practice an engaging leadership and open communication style in multinational teams of diverse composition.
My consistent, high performance track record in both operational and corporate roles are based on successful delivery of restructuring, integration/separation and growth challenges.
30 years’ industry experience has taken me across commodity, specialty and consumer oriented B2B markets (Surfactants & Personal Care, Commodity Inorganic Chemicals, Catalysts, Adhesives and thickeners for building and Paint industry, Consumer Paint, …)
With a PhD in Biotechnology/Chemical Engineering from Delft University and an MBA from INSEAD I combine a strong technical background with a top tear business education. I have had the honor to work for operating companies like Shell, Corn Product Company, Gist Brocades (now DSM), AkzoNobel and Nouryon. I also worked several years for McKinsey & Co and with almost every major consulting company (majors and specialists), and with many top financial institutes like Banks and Private equity houses.
Now I have started my own advisory company Peter4Strategy. You can use me as Sparring partner or Strategic coach for your Board/CEO or C-team, as Expert advisor in M&A, as Change program creator or Change team kick starter, as Brainstorm facilitator or Content based keynote/motivational/inspirational speaker.
Recent Subjects where I played a leading role
- New corporate strategy, business strategies for single and portfolio of businesses
- Revitalizing global businesses, creating growth (both organic and M&A)
- Major organization change / integration programs in a business or functional context
- Creating (next steps in) Commercial Excellence (traditional and digital) programs
One of my passions is long time, long distance running. My personal goal is to cover 42.000 km after turning 50 (at 61 I have passed 23.000 km …).
If you do not know where you want to go, it does not matter which path you take (The vanishing Chesire cat in Alice in Wonderland, Lewis Carroll)
Companies worked for ... and References ...
Board Member Kemira, Ex CEO AkzoNobel Chemicals
Peter is a high energy executive with encyclopaedical knowledge in Chemicals at large and various disciplines such as strategy, marketing and M&A in specific. He is a self-starter, needs very little guidance and always delivers on his promises. Peter played a pivotal role in developing and executing the strategy for AkzoNobel’s chemicals portfolio for many years. Besides, he designed and implemented a comprehensive Commercial Excellence platform for AkzoNobel’s Chemicals division, including a division wide CRM module.
Peter is extremely reliable, connects easily with all levels of the organization and executes effectively on his duties. Due to his in-depth experience as general manager for large businesses, his proven project management skills along with his deep understanding of various functional disciplines Peter served me as a sparring partner for all kind of business issues for many years and he was always highly respected in the entire organization.
CEO & Chairman at AkzoNobel
For about a year I worked hand-in-hand with Peter. He was the strategy leader for the business I was leading. Peter was invaluable for his insight, energy and experience. The ideal sparring partner to think through the complex issues of a multi-business chemical portfolio. And all of that linked with a very strong no nonsense, pragmatic knowledge of what works out there in the markets as well as what will work in the own organization and it’s capabilities. Last but not least, Peter is a fun person to work with who oozes positive energy and can-do attitude.
TRANSFORMATION / STRATEGY references
CEO, Business leaders, Senior Partners at global consultants, Directors at Private Equity, CEO entrepreneur start up
- … pride in your setting the stage and the follow through to the new structure.
- … your leading the roadmap to execution has been extremely critical and necessary.
- …how you handled the leadership team especially on topics that were tricky. Asserting facts as we know them, acknowledging that our understanding may not be perfect and never getting defensive.
- … commitment to and knowledge of the business and its markets.
- … incredibly valuable to all stakeholders during the whole separation process.
- … valued your sharp mind and willingness to think along and ahead …
- … been a terrific thought partner on the strategy effort.
- … the way that you involve the businesses in making strategy
- … made me think a little harder … and gave me insights that I had not thought of.
- … continue working on ideation and strategy the way you do best.
TEAM / LEADERSHIP references
C level executives, HR directors, Global business leaders, Communication managers, interim managers
- … a leading example for engagement and enthusiasm,
- Your internal presentation had the whole global team energized.
- … with so much knowledge and creating positive energy for the whole organization …
- for putting together such a great environment to work and grow in
- Your enthusiasm and accessibility will remain in my memory.
- … an absolute professional who have generously given to people around you.
- … your knowledge, forward looking, your support, and twinkle in your eye.
- for all your passion, you have been a true inspiration!
- lots of things from zero to hero under your leading!
- inspirator that make complex issues transparent
- your standards, expectations, and empowerment of others are tremendous ...
- especially the passion, commitment and integrity that you have shown to me and others.
C-level, Senior and junior colleagues
- You provide so many learning and growth opportunities
- You have been a real VIP in my career.
- We had a fantastically engaging and motivating time.
- … it’s nice to work with you and get lots of insights.
- …but more importantly how professional and helpful you have always been.
- every chat with you is a nutritive conversation.
- I am still running, keeping daily 10000 steps because of your inspiration.
- really appreciated your patience, help and insight over the years.
- Thank you for being you! Thank you for your support and trust.
- for all your help, support and guidance bestowed to me.